In a month or so Ingram Lawn & Garden of Flourtown & Ambler, Pa. will be doing core lawn aeration and over-seeding. We often get asked does my lawn need aeration and over-seeding? Almost always the answer is yes. There are many benefits to core lawn aeration and over-seeding your lawn. The problem begins when the top layer of soil compacts or compresses over time which prevents water, air and nutrients to the lawns grass roots. This restricted flow of natural oxygen and nutrients weakens your grass roots making them less able to compete with weeds and injury. Compacted soil allows a higher level of thatch to build which prevents activity from earthworms which are an important part of thatch decomposition, oxygen and water flow. The benefits of core lawn aeration are:
1) Loosens compacted soil which allows water, nutrients and oxygen flow which improves root growth.
2) When soil plugs are removed (always leave them on the grass) the spines of the aerator also sever grass roots, rhizomes and stolons. Grass plants then are stimulated to produce new roots which increase the density of the turf.
3) Reduces water runoff and allows earthworms to help the natural process.
4) Improves the overall turf health which increases the drought tolerance of the turf.
5) When over-seeding the lawn turf is thickened which reduces the risk of future weed growth.
6) A thick lush lawn will retain higher moisture because of shaded grass roots.
When we schedule core lawn aeration we also over-seed with a higher quality grass mix and add a time release fertilizer. The following season (Spring) the lawn will begin to see the benefits from the fall aeration and over-seeding. I aerate and over-seed my lawn just about every year.
Lawn aeration and over-seeding costs between $300.00-$650.00 for most lawns. The quality special blended grass seed mix we use usually makes up at least 25% of the total cost. If your interested in getting on our schedule which normally is only a 30 day period from September 10-October 10th give Ingram Lawn & Garden a call or complete an online request form. We service: Ambler, Abington, Blue Bell, Chestnut Hill, Dresher, Flourtown, Ft. Washington, Glenside, Gwynedd, Horsham, Lafayette Hill, Lansdale, Maple Glen, Montgomeryville, North Wales, Oreland, Roslyn, Spring House, Upper Dublin and Willow Grove and a few other surrounding towns. Ingram Lawn & Garden of Flourtown and Ambler, Pa. is a full service lawn service, lawn cutting and landscape contractor who provides complete weekly and seasonal lawn and landscape design, service, maintenance and installations.